Monday, November 5, 2007

memphis vs. knoxville

When I fist came on a visit to the University of Memphis I was a little bit iffy about the environment but I really wanted to come play soccer here. I went with my gut and I chose Memphis. When I would tell people that I was going to the University of Memphis they would always tell me to be careful and tell me that they were going to give me maise to bring with me. I just shrugged it off. It made me mad that people were saying this because I know Memphis seems bad to everyone else but it's really not that bad of a city. I have grown to really like it since I have been here. It is very different from my home town of Knoxville but I have grown close to the people that I have met here. One different between here and Knoxville is that at home I could walk around at night in my neighborhood or wherever and not be scared for my life. Here I wouldn't walk around anywhere by myself at night. Also there are a lot more outdoor activities to do at home and we are closer to the mountains but here I can go see Graceland or go to the Mississippi River and walk around. People may not think highly of Memphis but I have grown to really like it here. A lot of it is the friendships I have made with my teammates and the people I have met but I also like the atmosphere too. I have to admit at first I wasn't sure how I would like it but I'm really happy with the outcome so far.

No comments: